Introduction to COMPUTER MUSIC
(timings are tentative)
Ways in which computers are used in music:
January 23 - February 4
composition, notation, recording, etc.
How do we hear sounds ? Making a CD; ADC & DAC.
Computer Music centers, organizations, venues.
Brief history of Electro-acoustic Music and Computer Music in particular;
February 6 - 27
Analog electro-acoustic music.
An overview of selected digital synthesis methods.
- physical modeling, etc.
Creative assignment: short piece using scripts
March 4 - 6
Brief review of Computer-assisted Composition methods:
March 11 - April 17
- stochastic distributions
- Markov chains
- other methods used by Xenakis: Group Theory, Game Theory,
Random walks, arborescences
- genetic algorithms, cellular automata, AI
- Manifold compositions
Using DISSCO and the LASSIE interface
- LASSIE and DISSCO features
- a critical look at the MusicN paradigm.
- unifying synthesis and composition; the object-oriented
- frequency and loudness control
- modifiers; sieves and patterns
- spatialization and reverberation
Creative assignment: short piece using LASSIE/DISSCO
April 22 - May 6
Final exam: Friday, May 9 7:00-10:00 pm
back to Music 448 |
to Reserve list |
back to Courses |
back to Sever Tipei's home page |
Computer Music Project