Introduction to COMPUTER MUSIC
(timings are tentative)
Ways in which computers are used in music:
August 27 - September 8
composition, notation, recording, etc.
How do we hear sounds ? Making a CD; ADC & DAC.
Computer Music centers, organizations, venues.
Brief history of Electro-acoustic Music and Computer Music in particular:
Analog electro-acoustic music.
An overview of selected digital synthesis methods.
- physical modeling, etc.
Assignment: chart the formal structure of a piece
September 10 - October 1
Creative assignment: short piece using scripts
October 6 - 8
Brief review of Computer-assisted Composition methods:
October 13 - November 19
- stochastic distributions
- Markov chains
- other methods used by Xenakis: Group Theory, Game Theory,
Random walks, arborescences
- genetic algorithms, cellular automata, AI
- Manifold compositions
Using DISSCO and the LASSIE interface
- LASSIE and DISSCO features
- a critical look at the MusicN paradigm.
- unifying synthesis and composition; the object-oriented
- frequency and loudness control
- spatialization and reverberation
- embedded functions
- sieves and patterns
Creative assignment: short piece using LASSIE/DISSCO
December 1 - 8
Final exam: Friday, May 14, 7:00-10:00 pm
back to Music 448 |
to Reserve list |
back to Courses |
back to Sever Tipei's home page |
Computer Music Project