Rationalism, Structure, Science
1. On Boulez
- The domain technique, isomorphism (total,
partial, unique elements); Le Marteau
2. Structuralism. Sound parameters, analytical/logical/rational
point of view. Virtues and criticism.
3. Stockhausen's article ...how time passes...
- Events in time.
- Continuum of duration and frequency.
- Lack of complexity in the traditional rhythm domain.
- Serialization - use of complex ratios: practical issues.
- The composition as the fundamental of one complex
- Probability and aleatorism.
The audience of Boulez, Stockhausen & al.
[Assignment for the Spring Break: start final paper. Options:
Be prepared to report back preliminary results after the break]
- Analyze a major piece and show how it illustrates a particular world
- Take a philosopher or school of thought and show how it influenced
the arts and/or a particular composer and/or work)
back to Music 422 |
back to Courses |
back to Sever Tipei's home page |
Computer Music Project |
Music Composition and Scientific Sonification Project