Imitating Nature in its mode of operation...
0. From Day V: Debussy and Proust: "Le temps retrouve".
- World politics between 1870 - 1920 and its impact on the
1. Music is not (always) a language. Gentle exit from tonality.
Debussy's tools; audience.
2. Complexity. How it is related to entropy, organization,
structure, etc. Ilya Prigogine's Being and becoming: order out of
chaos. Complexity in Nature and Cage's statement about
imitating Nature's mode of operation. The paradox of
realism in art. Almost everybody at the end of 19th century
claimed to realistically present something. How much it is ignored
even in a realistic work.
- Impressionism in the arts; symbolism;
- French poetry and painting at the turn of the century.
The question of grainage. See Murray Gell Mann.
* * *
Rationalism, Structure, Science.
3. Intro to the chapter. Coherence between Science, Arts and
Philosophy: Newton, Bach, Kant. The Enlightment. Classical mechanics and
relativity. Art for art's sake. Structuralism and sound parameters.
back to Music 422 |
back to Courses |
back to Sever Tipei's home page |
Computer Music Project |
Music Composition and Scientific Sonification Project