Music 408 E - Analysis of Music Form
- Define five out of the eight following terms. For each of them give at
least one example of composer and work that can be connected to the term.
- additive synthesis
- class of compositions
- Momente form
- proportional notation
- sound mass
- Write a short essay on one of the following topics. Mention the
technical aspects of this technique or trend, trace its roots, and
the aesthetics associated with it. Give as many examples of composers
and works associated with it as you can. If applicable, refer to
articles discussed in class.
- Topic A: List composers and works considered to be
the roots of Integral Serialism and describe how the
system evolved from Boulez's Structures to Le marteau
sans maitre and Gruppen by Stockhausen.
- Topic B:Discuss the concept of Open Work.
Contrasts and compare different ways of introducing indeterminacy
in music: Chance Music, Aleatory Music, Stochastic
Music, and Graphic Scores.
- Analyze the following score fragment. Discuss the way various
sound parameters: rhythm, pitch, instrumentation, etc. are organized
and write about any special technique(s) present as well as about
the notation of this fragment. Who do you think is the composer ?
Justify your guess.
back to Music 408 E |
back to Courses |
back to Sever Tipei's home page |
Computer Music Project ]