SCHOOL OF MUSIC | COLLEGE OF FINE + APPLIED ARTS | UNIVERSITY OF ILLINOIS AT URBANA-CHAMPAIGN   logo    

Welcome to the Experimental Music Studios
of the University of Illinois
at Urbana-Champaign

Electroacoustic music activities at the School of Music have earned the University of Illinois an international reputation as a leader in the field of contemporary art music. Known for significant creative and technical developments in electronic and computer music composition, the University of Illinois Experimental Music Studios were founded in 1958 by Lejaren Hiller and were the first of their kind in the western hemisphere. Faculty members and students working in these studios have been responsible for many of the major developments in electro-acoustic music over the years including the first developments in computer sound synthesis by Lejaren Hiller, expanded gestural computer synthesis by Herbert BrĂ¼n, the creation of the Sal-Mar Construction by Salvatore Martirano and the Harmonic Tone Generator by James Beauchamp. Today the facility continues as an active and productive center for electro-acoustic and computer music composition, education and research. Numerous prestigious awards have been won by faculty and students for their work in the studios.

The present facilities include ten specially-designed studios for sound generation, processing, and recording. Scott Wyatt, Professor Emeritus of composition and theory, is the director of the Experimental Music Studios. Professor Sever Tipei serves as the manager of the Computer Music Project. Access to all EMS facilities is primarily through course enrollment. Music students, along with numerous students not seeking a music degree, regularly enroll in EMS courses.

For questions or comments about this website please contact the Webmaster, Benjamin D. Whiting, at cmp-administrator@illinois.edu